10DLC: Campaign Use Cases
As mandated by MNOs (the carriers), The Campaign Registry (TCR) requires the CSP to declare a Use Case at the beginning of the Campaign Registration process.
Standard Use Cases are immediately available for all qualified registered Brands and do not require Vetting or pre/post-approval by MNOs. Special Use Cases may require Vetting or pre/post-registration approval by MNOs. Requirements may vary according to each MNO. Some special use cases may have additional requirements and different fees.
Campaign Registration Steps
- Name your Campaign: Enter a Display Name for your Campaign (Make it different from any other Campaigns you’ve registered!)
- Associate your Brand: From the dropdown, select the Brand ID to associate your Campaign with. If you have multiple entities (Brands) sending messages on your TextOut Account, be sure to select the correct Brand.
- Use Case Type: Select a Use Case from the available dropdown. See Use Case lists below for details about each Use Case type. Certain Use Cases are only available to certain Brand types.
- Auto-Renew Campaign: Campaigns are registered for an initial 3-month period. By default, your Campaign will automatically renew until you deactivate your campaign. If you do not want to renew, toggle this to “no”.
- Campaign Description: Enter a description for your Campaign. Be clear and detailed, especially for special use cases. When reviewing a campaign, carriers will look at the campaign description and see if it matches the content of the messages being sent. For standard campaigns, the carriers may not look at the description until there is an issue.
- Vertical: This is an optional descriptive field that The Campaign Registry is soon removing.
- Message Samples: To register a Use Case, The Campaign Registry requires you to submit at least three sample Initial Outbound messages. Your messaging, once a Campaign is approved, should be substantially similar to the approved sample messages. If you want to change or add additional Initial Outbound messages, you must update your Campaign by submitting additional sample messages for approval.
- Content Attributes: During the Campaign registration process, you will be asked to answer 'Yes' or 'No' to indicate whether the Campaign has the following attributes. Some attributes may require you to add specific information:
- Subscriber Opt-in - (Required) Indicates whether the campaign is collecting and processing consumer opt-ins
- Subscriber Opt-out - (Required) Indicates whether the campaign is collecting and processing consumer opt-outs
- Subscriber Help - (Required) Indicates whether the campaign will reply with a message providing customers information on how to contact the message sender after they reply with the HELP keyword.
- Number Pooling - Select this if you intend on using 50+ numbers, as this will require a different provisioning process on T-Mobile.
- Direct Lending or Loan Arrangement - Indicates whether the campaign includes content related to direct lending or other loan arrangements.
- Embedded Link - Indicates whether the campaign is using an embedded link of any kind. Public URL shorteners (bit.ly, TinyURL) are not accepted.
- Embedded Phone Number - Indicates whether the campaign is using an embedded phone number (except the required HELP information contact phone number).
- Affiliate Marketing - Indicates whether affiliate marketing is being used or used in the campaign's construction.
- Age-gated Content - Indicates whether the campaign includes any age-gated content as defined by Carrier and CTIA guidelines.
Use Case Lists
Standard Use Cases
|2FA||Any authentication, verification, or a one-time passcode|
|Customer Care||All customer care interaction, including but not limited to account management and customer support.|
|Delivery Notifications||Notification about the status of the delivery of a product or service|
|Fraud Alert Messaging||Notifications regarding potential fraudulent activity on a user's account, such as spending alerts|
|Higher Education||Messaging created on behalf of Colleges or Universities, including School Districts and education institutions. This use case is not for the "free to the consumer" messaging model.|
|Low Volume Mixed||For Brands that have multiple use cases and only need very low messaging throughput. Examples include: test or demo accounts, small businesses (single Doctor's office, single Pizza shop, etc.)|
|Marketing||Any communication that includes marketing and/or promotional content.|
|Mixed||Any messaging campaign containing 2-5 standard use cases (*Note: Mixed campaigns are likely to have lower throughput and a higher cost per message. Source: Twilio)|
|Polling and Voting||The sending of surveys and polling/voting campaigns for non-political arenas.|
|Public Service Announcement||Informational messaging to raise an audience's awareness about important issues|
|Security Alert||A notification that the security of a system, either software or hardware, has been compromised in some way|
Special Use CasesA classification of 10DLC message campaigns that may qualify for increased messaging throughput and/or reduced carrier fees compared to standard use cases. A subset of special use cases are sensitive or critical and require additional approval processes. Not all of these have been approved by all carriers yet.
|Use Case:||Description:||Examples:||Currently Available for Registration?|
|Agents and Franchises||Agents; franchises; local branches(*Post-registration approval by MNO is required for this Use Case)||A real estate company operates offices at multiple locations with multiple real estate agents. Each real estate agent has their number and manages their text communication.||Yes|
|Charity / 501(c)(3) Nonprofit||Communications from a registered Charity / 501(c)(3) Nonprofit aimed at providing help and raising money for those in need. 501(c)(3) Tax-exempt organizations only.||A food bank registered as a 501(c)(3) sends out appointment reminders to program beneficiaries.||Yes|
|Proxy (formerly Conversational)||Peer-to-peer, app-based group, messaging with proxy/pooled numbers. Supporting personalized services and non-exposure of personal numbers for enterprise or A2P communications. (*Post-registration approval by MNO is required for this Use Case)||A ride-sharing service that offers anonymized messaging communications between drivers and passengers.||Yes|
|Emergency||Notification services are designed to support public safety/health during natural disasters, armed conflicts, pandemics, and other national or regional emergencies.||A government agency is sending out critical alerts to residents during a wildfire.||Yes|
|Political||Part of an organized effort to influence the decision-making of a specific group. Available only to registered 501(c)(4/5/6) and [Candidate/Committee/PAC] Organizations with a Campaign Verify token.(* Candidate Orgs must register at www.campaignverify.org and select 'Import Vetting' on the Brand Details page to unlock the Political Use Case)||A political organization sends text messages encouraging voters to vote for a specific candidate in a federal election.501(c)(4), 501(c)(5), and 501(c)(6) organizations sending political messages should register with the Political special use case or register non-political messaging with standard campaign use cases.||501(c)(4), 501(c)(5), 501(c)(6) - Yes 527s - Yes|
|Social||Communication between public figures/influencers and their communities (Only MNO pre-approved CSPs are eligible for this Use Case)||A YouTube influencer or celebrity is sharing informational updates with their followers.||Yes|
|Sweepstakes||All gambling and sweepstakes messaging||A car brand notifies interested visitors at a showroom about a car giveaway.||Yes|
|Carrier Exemption||Exemption by carrier (*requires post-registration MNO approval)|
|K-12 Education||Campaigns created for messaging platforms that support schools from grades K - 12 and distance learning centers. This is not for Post-Secondary schools. (*requires post-registration MNO approval)|
|Sole Proprietor||Limited to entities without an EIN/Tax ID|
Carrier Terms Preview
Each MNO has its own 10DLC messaging policies and commercial terms. The Carrier Terms Preview page allows the TextOut Account User to see the terms of a Campaign for each MNO based on the selected Use-Case and Brand before you complete registration. The preview will provide you with the following information:
- Qualify - Whether your campaign can be run on each MNO
- MNO Review - Indicates whether or not the MNO will have to review the Campaign before allowing it to run on their network.
- Throughput per minute (TPM, AT&T ONLY) - The number of messages that can be sent per minute on the carrier's network
- Message class (AT&T ONLY) - AT&T's message classification that correlates to the surcharge and TPM for a Campaign
- Brand Tier (T-Mobile ONLY) - T-Mobile's message classification correlates to the daily messaging volume for a Brand
If a Brand does not qualify for a Campaign, TextOut will not be able to continue the campaign registration process past this point.
Campaigns Under Review
As mandated by MNO policies, campaigns belonging to specific "Use Cases" might require MNO approval after registration to run on their network. Such campaigns will display the "Review" status on the portal until they are either "Accepted" or "Rejected."